Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Getting here!


It doesn’t matter where you are coming from it is quiet a journey to get to The Elephant Conservation Center (which from now on I’m referring to as ECC), located in Sayaboury province, in Laos. After 4 flights (San Diego-Los Angeles-South Korea-Bangkok-Luang Prabang), a 3-hour drive and a ferry ride, I finally got here.

It was a total of 22 hours flying, and that is without counting the layover time. So if you ever decide to visit this side of the world, prepare yourself mentally and emotionally. Something I found pretty funny was that for some reason everyone thought I was South Korean, (which supports my friend’s belief that I look a little Asian)…so the people sitting next to me on the plane and even the flight attendants never spoke to me in English until they obviously realized I didn’t know what the hell they were saying. I did not even bother explaining that I am actually Dominican.

So there are three things you MUST do when traveling through South Korea:

1. Fly KAL: You cannot go wrong when flying with Korean Airline. They worked very hard in making my 13-hour flight from LA to Seoul pretty pleasant. The plane was huge and the seats were comfortable (with 10 seats per row and around 60 rows!). The flight attendants are very kind and go out of their way to make you happy and lets not talk about all the movies they have (from Hollywood hits to Chinese “telenovelas”), the awesome food and the all inclusive bar. Yes, you read it right: I drank until I fell asleep. I can’t imagine what you get if you fly first class. 




2. Eat bibimbap: Bibimbap is a signature Korean dish. It is basically rice, vegetables, meat, and a fried egg, all separately. The idea is for you to mix it all together in a bigger bowl adding chili paste with sesame oil and voila! It is delicious and fun to prepare, it even comes with its own instructions!



3. Dance Gangam Style: Do not expect to arrive to South Korea and see Psy shops everywhere. I was really disappointed when I couldn’t find a t-shirt. Do not get me wrong, Asians love Psy but I have to admit I was the only crazy person “gangam styling” at the airport. I couldn’t stop myself, and neither should you!



:)
 Karla Nova 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts about this post? :)