Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Mae Boun Nam, an example for all of us.

Mae Boun Nam (pronounced Me-bu-nam) is the smallest and youngest of our 4 female elephants. She is just 17 years old and used to work in Hongsa District (the village I visited earlier in my trip), transporting tourist on hours-long forest treks. Fortunately, she was never used in the logging industry because of her petite size and young age.

She came to us about a year and a half ago when a poacher shot her. The veterinary team saved her life but the baby she was carrying did not survive. Though elephants do not forget, apparently they do forgive: our “Water Festival” is the most joyful and playful of them all. 

She loves people but the thing she loves the most is going for a swim in the lake (her name suits her perfectly!). She hasn’t had any medical issues, so Mae Boun Nam naively sees me as a friend instead of the veterinarian (which I enjoy very much). 

I always go to the pier when its time for her bath where I brush her, give her lots of treats and admire her thrill.




Currently, she is going into our fenced breeding area 3 times a week with the male elephant where they spend several hours getting to know each other better. I spend this time observing and recording courtship behavior for our breeding program. Our male is a little shy with girls though so he hasn't tried to win her over much! Hopefully that will soon change as Mae Boun Nam cannot wait to have a baby of her own; she always tries to touch and play with the babies here at the center but mommies are very protective and keep them away.

I am definitely connecting with “Water Festival”: her gratefulness for living reminds me why I became a veterinarian and her forgiveness toward people, her compassion, reminds me why I love animals with such passion. 



I think we could learn a thing or two from Mae Boun Nam...Watch and learn people, watch and learn.


More to come,
Karla Nova

3 comments:

  1. Ehhh soon you will be like the Dalgarian princess... only 'mother of elephants',instead of 'mother of dragons'... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karla Nova, mother of elephants? sounds good but I will need a couple of babies to honor that name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah is the Water Festival going on now? And Mr. Man is out of the forest? So sad I never got to meet him!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts about this post? :)