Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Unkept Promise.


“I will save you, I promise you will be alright”, but I had a bitter taste in my mouth and a suction feeling in my chest as I whispered this to the newborn elephant.



I received a call at 11 am in the morning saying that a baby elephant was born last night, which was very ill and couldn’t stand up. After a 4-hour drive I got to what was going to be my worst nightmare. We were deep in the forest and it was going to be dark soon, I did a cursory physical exam before taking him to the nearest village:

Dull mentation, shallow and rapid breathing, elevated heart rate, and cold, dry and pale mucous membrane. Umbilicus looks infected and swollen, and front right limb swollen and terribly bruised (probably broken).


The history I managed to get was that the mother had given birth the night before and she had apparently been kicking the baby. He had not fed since being born because he couldn’t stand (around 15 hours ago!). The baby was in hypovolemic and probably septic shock. My prognosis: grave.

At the site of the baby I just wanted to sit there and cry. It was awful to see him like this and imagine how painful and desperate he must have been all these hours. Life should not be this cruel. But there was not any time to spare; we carried him away from the mother as she screamed, kicked, attacked us, and tried to break her chain along with the tree it was attached to. It took 6 people to put the baby on a tack-tack (hand tractor) and transport him to my truck to be able to get him to the village. I asked them to bring the mother as well as newborns should remain with their mothers and I wanted to try to milk her.


On the tak-tak

On our way!



Setting up camp
Once in the village, I set up a camp where I spent the next 13 hours without leaving his site. I did not drink, eat, sleep or shower. NOTHING, absolutely nothing was remotely as important as trying to save possibly this year’s only baby (in my last post I explained how fragile the elephant population in Laos is). The entire village was with me, never left me alone, and constantly helped me with the baby. They all brought carpets and mattresses and surrounded us to keep us warm. 


I had beds, blankets, and a fire to warm the baby up. I managed to get an auricular vein (not easy when your patient is hypothermic and in shock and when the only source of light is a small flashlight and you do not have any catheters) and quickly administered 1 liter of fluid to him before loosing the vein. I disinfected the umbilicus and administered antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. As he had been on lateral recumbency for 12 hours I feared for lung atelectasis and decided to flip him over every hour. I wanted to try and pass an orogastric tube to feed him so the chief of the village brought me the one used for putting gas into vehicles...honestly I could not care less, it was the only thing I had. Unfortunately, it was too short so I could not leave it in; I gave him coconut water (it has electrolytes and sugar) since I still did not have any milk… or the mother.


Getting a vein.
A few hours later the mahout finally arrived.  He did not bring the mother and only managed to milk 200 milliliters of colostrum despite being told to get liters! I did not quite understand why he left the mother in the forest when I was so explicit she should come but at this point I was desperate and felt overwhelmed and helplessness. The gravity of the situation, remoteness and isolation of the mother, and lack of understanding of the mahouts was enough to make me want to shut down and weep. I did not though; I had to be strong for the baby. I told the mahout to go back into the forest and not to come back until he gets 5 liters of milk. I wanted to go myself but getting there would take hours and my place was with the baby.

Around midnight the baby was out of shock and was vocalizing and trying to stand up! When we stood him and supported him he screamed in excitement and began flapping his ears! I was so happy I began to cry. I took a bottle with coconut water and lifted his little trunk; he started to suck as hard as he could… Hope. For the first time I felt hope, but just for a few seconds before he was too tired to continue and stopped. I laid him down and tried to bottle-feed him unsuccessfully. I continued all night like this. I felt desperate, lonely, helplessness, and powerlessness. No one, absolutely no one was there for me but I had to be strong and hold on…. In the end, the mother’s milk never got there and of course, no one survives on coconut water. Further on he developed respiratory noises and was very congested.

At 3:30 am I had some hope.

Please understand this has been the hardest thing I have written in my entire life. This story is very personal; the loss of a life is not easy, but it is made all the much harder when it is a newborn especially one you know you could have saved under different circumstances. Today I feel lost, useless, powerless, overwhelmed, and clueless. I was as fragile as the baby; most of the time I was not sure who was saving whom.

In his last moments of life I had his head on my lap… he looked at me and touched my face full of tears with his weak and flaccid trunk one last time… like it was me who needed the comfort. I hugged and kissed him and remained like this until the brightness left his eyes and life slipped away from him. At the end I could not keep my promise…at the end I did not save him.

Karla Nova
PS: I want to ask to all my veterinarians friends out there to please tell me what else could I have done, what did I do wrong and what could I have done differently. I will really appreciate some input and feedback as I want to learn all I can from my mistakes. I will be forever thankful.

12 comments:

  1. Karla estando donde estas y con esos pocos recursos YOU DID EVERYTHING YOU COULD AND EVEN MORE!!! Eres lo mejor! Keep up the good work y por mas triste que esto sea no te dejes caer.

    Marcelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Karla, I am so sorry. Thank you for sharing this experience with us. I agree that it sounds like you did everything you could. Without it's mother's milk I don't think the calf had a chance of surviving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elliot, thank you for your opinion! Thanks to the San Diego Zoo nutritionist, I now have the recipe of a milk replacer! Now I just have to get the ingredients.... I am not going to be caught off guard next time!

      I was also told that the Zoo have had a very hard time keeping elephant babies alive as well. Some last a week with around the clock support and don't make it. They are apparently very fragile so I dont feel so alone anymore. Apparently the odds of that baby surviving even at an adequate facility were slim.

      I constantly struggle to keep a vein to administer fluids.... do you think I should have placed an orogastric tube and administer the fluids orally instead? I wantes to do this several times but most of the time the baby was so depressed I thought I could cause an aspiration pneumonia....

      Delete
  3. Ooooh Karla, I'm so sad !
    I read your precedent post yesterday, (I answered, but did'nt for sure registered the answer, what a fool am I !)...
    I read that one this morning, before going to work, and I just felt to sit and cry with you... Just cry...
    But no, get up for the right !

    Trust me, I can imagine the way you were feeling during these so long (and so short) hours the baby lived !!! So precious life spoiled because of missing means !
    Karla, be sure you did everything you could, with so thin means you disposed (I know in Laos, means runs short !)

    Please, don't give up, (I'm sure you even didn't think of it !!!) Think of the two babies at the nursery, think of the next baby you'll save !
    You're not alone, I really feel involved in that fight, save the elefants !!!

    I'm trying to alert french press print. I can't swear I'll succeed, but I'm working strong that way...

    I'll keep you inform, and please, you as well,

    Love my Karla,
    Kat




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kathyy,
      Thank you for your encouraging words! Your support makes me feel stronger!
      Thank you for trying to create awareness about the situation here in Laos, we need more people like you! Feel free to pass along my blog as well!

      I will post about Mae Khan Mai as soon as I can so you can know whats going on!

      Delete
  4. Comment from Dr. Jay Merriam, equine vet, who was unable to post it in the forum:

    Dear Karla,

    What an amazing story, and thanks for sharing it. I hope by now you have gotten some rest ad time to recover. This sort of episode, while amazing and perhaps overwhelming, is in fact part of the reason you became a vet, you just didn't know it then. And it will not be the last time you feel alone, overpowered and helpless. But things will get better as long as you take a lesson or a bit of knowledge from it. What did you do wrong you ask? how about nothing... in the context of the situation you applied every bit of your knowledge, experience and skill to fit a situation
    that was impossible from the start. You have however taught the other people around you that, had they acted faster, prepared better and been closer, things might have been different. Your job is to do the very best you can, but realize that there are limits to what can be done. If you carry the burden of an "unkept promise" around forever, you will be no use to the elephants you are trying to save. If your promise is "I will do my best, no matter what" then things will get better and the next time there will be a better outcome.
    Having been in similar situations with neonatal foals over the years, I learned a lot every time one presented itself, and over time the people around them became more compliant with my ideas and began to be better prepared and we began to save more and more of them. So rather than blaming yourself, or anyone else, take hope, go forward and ask the villagers and the mahouts to step up and you will see a better result.
    They are lucky to have you, but if you wrap yourself in grief and lose sight of the goals, they will lose you as they did this baby.
    Keep up the great work and please take care of yourself and keep that letter coming. You make us proud to have you in this wonderful profession...
    Jay

    Jay Merriam
    cell 508-498-0347
    www.equitarianinitiative.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay... Wisdom and experience voice.
      Karla, I told you you were a good vet, with that kind of resolution, you'll be a great vet ! Keep on going that way ! Jay is right.

      I like the photo “At 3:30 am I had some hope.” Never loose that smile !

      Waiting for new news of elefants...
      Katiii

      Delete
    2. Kathy!!! OMG! give me your email ASAP! I have been meaning to write to you but I dont have your contacts.... Hopefully you get this message and reply. Big Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Reading this story as a companion animal vet in the U.S. for thirty-five years, I immediately recognized every emotion you suggested in your account. I completely agree with Jay. Our job is to do our best in every situation for every animal - dog, cat, horse, elephant. Try to always remember that, in the end, who lives and who dies isn't really up to us. If I treat 100 puppies with parvo virus, all with the same aggression and 98 live and I lose 2, I am still sad for the 2, but I sleep well at night, knowing I did everything I could. You don't need to be a "religious" person to recognize that some seem meant to live and others don't. Call it fate, karma, dumb luck. No matter what, all we can do is our best - for every one.
    You're doing everything right. Keep asking the how-could-I-do-it-better question. This depth of humility will lead you to excellence in every area of your life. Keep up! So glad you're out there serving these magnificent creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Karla,
    Being a french vet for only 4 years, i was looking for "other kind of experiences", before thinking about settling for good... I found your blog wandering on the internet, by this cold snowy day here in France... What can i say ? I had once kinf of a similar experience with a dolphin on a beach... Tried to do my best, so little time, so many things to do, and so little means available... My story ends like yours, and I know how it feels like to be alone with a wild animal on your lap, looking you in the eye, like a goodbye... What you did was amazing, and it inspire me, as well as i hope it inspires many vets around the world... I am more and more thinking about giving a try to this kind of way of life... I would really appreciate to get in touch with you an Elliot !
    Caroline, french vet, from France

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Karla,
    Being a french vet for only 4 years, i was looking for "other kind of experiences", before thinking about settling for good... I found your blog wandering on the internet, by this cold snowy day here in France... What can i say ? I had once kinf of a similar experience with a dolphin on a beach... Tried to do my best, so little time, so many things to do, and so little means available... My story ends like yours, and I know how it feels like to be alone with a wild animal on your lap, looking you in the eye, like a goodbye... What you did was amazing, and it inspire me, as well as i hope it inspires many vets around the world... I am more and more thinking about giving a try to this kind of way of life... I would really appreciate to get in touch with you an Elliot !
    Caroline, french vet, from France

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Caroline,

      Thank you for reading my blog!
      Unfortunately I hado to leave Laos after an emergency surgery but I am still really close with the NPO and still want to do everything I can to help them. I am currently taking the american boards to be able to do a residency in Zoological Medicine in the US. Its going to take me A LOT of years but I am determined. :)

      I am sorry about your dolphin! I have worked with marine mammals in the past and they are even harder to work with! If you are still looking for experiences like this, let me know and I will put you in contact with the vet that is in Laos right now. She is a really easy-going french vet and might need some help in the future if you think this is what you want to pursue.

      Happy to help,

      Karla, Dominican vet, from Dominican Republic :)

      Delete

What are your thoughts about this post? :)